Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ahoy Edmonton

I woke up early this morning to catch my 6am flight to Denver then on to Edmonton. The flight to Denver was perfect. But the flight to Edmonton was on time, then delayed 2 hours, then moved back to being on time (15 minutes before the flight was supposed to leave). I find it funny how omnipotent the airlines think they are... We ended up waiting on the tarmac for ~ 1 hour until the passengers that wondered off due to the delay returned. I cleared customs in no time, however it was disturbing to see ALL of the customs officials in heavy flack jackets. Really, who is going to shoot a customs guy that asks, do you have any fruits or food?

My Boss had not set up a plan on what to do when I arrived in Edmonton so by using iPass and Skype I was able to call him on my iPhone essentially free. (HA - Take that AT&T, you cant have my arm or my leg today!) I was surprised at how moderate the temperature was, I had gotten myself mentally prepared for knock your face off, holy crap cold, but I didnt even need a hat. However, there was snow EVERYWHERE. I had a really nice Polish taxi driver named Rock, we drove for about 30 minutes until we arrived at a Canadian version of Motel 6. I guess its close to the shop.

I met up with my friend Don for dinner then a Hockey game (since our boss couldnt go he gave us his tickets!). I was having a hard time staying calm and non-hyper, I was so excited to be at a new camp and finally released from Bakersfield I think I annoyed him a bit. I never got to know Don well while we worked in Bakersfield. He is polite, quiet, and thinks before he speaks. Aside from our comparable size, we have nothing in common. After dinner we went to a Oilers/Flames game. We met up with another engineer and an operator, they were really nice also but I cant remember their names. My stupid memory... The Oilers ended up losing and we retired after the game. I need to get some good rest for my first day at work tomorrow, from what I hear there is lots to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment