Saturday, February 26, 2011

Lucky

Yesterday I drove to my first camp to pick up some packages for my birthday! I think that we have all learned two things: 1. Never send valuables to another country - you never know how corrupt the border agent is, 2. Always get a tracking number and use premium carriers when sending abroad. Most all of the packages and mail is accounted for now. My wife and friends in Bakersfield got their packages back, and I got packages from My parents, Adam and Erin, and Grandma Santa Fe! Thank you so much!

This whole thing has made me realize how lucky that I am to have such thoughtful people in my life! It seems like every close friend is either thoughtful or married to someone who is - like me. (Don't worry that makes you thoughtful too, or I like to think so.) Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I got so many gifts, goodies, treats, and wall posts that it made up for being away from home - I am blessed. Special thanks to Erin and Mom (and Adam and Dad =) you obviously know the way to my heart... =)

Things are starting to pickup around here. This camp has two of our trucks and two competitors trucks and we are chasing 10 rigs! With all the trucks working you normally have off 1 day in between jobs, however with our competitors contract coming up in March 1, that means that we could be the only company here doing the work with two trucks!!! Which pretty much means work, work, work, sleep, eat, work, work, shower and repeat... Well see I guess. Prison Break may have to be put on hold.

I think that I have made up my mind, with the help of a few friends, that 2.5 months is too long to vacation! I am leaning to start in Iraq May 1st. Along the same lines, it is comforting seeing how fast my company got all of its people out of both Egypt and Libya in recent days. In both instances, all employees that wanted to leave could leave 2-3 days before things got out of control... I'm sure the same would go for me...

I realized that I may not have mentioned why I would like to only vacation outside of the US. Apparently, if you stay out of the US for 330 days a year, than you don't have to pay taxes on the first $97k that you make. So that's saving a TON!!! It doesn't matter if Chelsea lives there, as long as I stay out... We are going to try this and see if it works...

Once again thanks for being such great friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment