Thursday, February 24, 2011

No good at blogging

It has been more than a week since my last post and I have to admit that I am no good at blogging. All of you probably know that I am crap with details and sticking with things, maybe this is my outlet to become better at that.

Not much has happened since my last post. Both myself and my crew has survived another crew change without my boss making us take our days off; the jobs have started to pick up; and as mid-march approaches everyone is getting more anxious to be done - I know I am!

One interesting thing that is happening right now is that my boss in Iraq has asked if I would be willing to delay coming until June 1st. This would give Chelsea and I a month longer vacation, but I would have to take a leave of absence, so I would not be getting paid during that month... He told me that I could still come in May, but there wont be much to do as the projects are delayed until June or July. Im not sure what to do, 2.5 months of vacation sounds ridiculously cool. But I could see us coming back with nothing saved from this whole Canada escapade. Also, one of my close friends got screwed out of going to Iraq because his boss dragged his feet signing his transfer papers and now the manager in Iraq says they have over hired. Its funny, when you are such a small fish (like myself and my friend) in such a big company you spend alot of time and planning just trying to avoid getting screwed. I feel like that companies should spend more time trying to find mutual benefit for the company AND the employee instead of using employees like tools to accomplish their bidding. Enough rambling.

The food has gotten considerably better here! I think we just went through a spurt of having a bad chef my first week. Since I have been at this camp we have had steak, prime rib, prawns, baby back ribs, and lots of good pasta!!! I have attached some pictures of the kitchen. Its really small with only 8 tables inside. They have many luxuries at the expense of space. The deep freezer is PACKED full of ice cream, notice all of the soda containers, many juice machines, and the coldest milk you could ever imagine! I think I am going to fail to get into better shape than when I started the projects... Maybe in Iraq???

I have been looking at alot of places for vacation and need some help. The few stipulations that I am putting is it must be 1. out of the country, 2. off-grid - so preferably no cell coverage, internet, or maybe even limited power, 3. must be warm! =) I think that we would go for about 2-3 weeks. I was thinking of just a bungalow or straw building in a desolate beach somewhere... I have looked at Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Bora Bora. If anyone has any advice, I would be more than grateful!

Its off to work now, I am writing this off the satillite. Speaking of which the satillite is really confused and pointing straight at our truck! I guess the signal is bouncing off the truck onto the dish... Eary how much stuff if bouncing around that you cant see...

54 days in the bush

The serving line on the left, and 4 tables

4 more tables

Ice cold milk with cereal below!

Juice, Juice, Juice - All from Concentrate =(

Ice Cream! =)

Lots and Lots of Soda

Sandwiches for jobs

Soup and cookies

Salad bar

2 comments:

  1. Why is it called the bush, eh? Oops I meant A! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha - I dont know... I assume that most of the time when you leave civilization there are lots of bushes and wilderness around??? Funny, because there there is not a bush within sight.

    ReplyDelete