Thursday, March 3, 2011

Awesome News!

I found out three awesome things in the last 2 days! First, I officially got paid... finally, even though it is in Canadian dollars. Second, the Canadian dollar is soaring above the US dollar, meaning that on top of the fantastic pay I will get 3-4% bonus for the conversion! Third, I found out that I will only have to do this staying out of the country thing for one year, but it will apply to next year also.

The last five days since I have blogged have been pretty boring. Were noticing things starting to slow down and they will start releasing rigs soon. There are three type of jobs here: short, medium, and long. The majority of the jobs that they are requesting are short, so it only takes us ~4-5 hours of work, then were back home enjoying movies, tv shows, and books. Whats more? We only do one job every two or three days!

The Senior Vice President of this company came up to visit the camp and congratulate everyone for doing a good job, safely, etc, etc, yada, yada, yada. After his little speach, he talked with all of us from my company (about 8 of us) and specifically said that he heard we were doing an outstanding job and that next year we would be back. He was really down to earth and about 40. I am amazed at how many executives of major companies are relatively young... I would think that they would all be older men.

Im not sure if I mentioned it before, but I had a hell of a time getting paid. Since my company is so large, its people are like any other asset in the computer. Well glitch after glitch, and problems with Iraq HR etc, a month later I finally got paid. But it had to be into a Canadian bank account - which adds more headaches. The only good thing is that the CAD is trading higher than the USD, 1.0266 higher today! Now I have to figure out how to get a fairly large amount of currency from CAD to USD. Anyone have any advice?

I finished off "Delivering Happiness" from the maker of Zappos talking about the Zappos culture and his opinions on happiness; and "Decision Points", George Bush Jr. I know there are lots of haters out there, but the guy is pretty interesting and its cool to see his decision making process. They were both pretty good and now Im looking for more books to read. I would take advice on this too. =)

2 comments:

  1. If you liked the book from the Zappos guy, you might like "Winning" by Jack Welsh....no Charlie Sheen pun intended. I had to read it for work a few years ago and it was sort of interesting. Also a good read was 50/50 - Secrets I Learned Running by Dean Karnazes - its really inspiring and is what inspired me to run my first half marathon.

    I'm glad you're doing well and we can't wait for you to get out of the cold and come visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buy lots of hard drugs with the Canadian money, smuggle them across the Canadian/US border utilizing snowmobiles, sell the drugs for profit on the streets of Bakersfield/South Central L.A.

    BOOM Money problem solved. I'll take my cut of the profits now.

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete