Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mt. Everest, here we come!


In the past few months I have been talking to one of my friends Matt about places that we want to visit or things we want to do before we stop commuting – essentially a bucket list for commuting. He has been commuting for about 1.5 years longer than me, so naturally my list is much longer than his. However, it just so happens that he and I have aligning days off after this work hitch, so Chelsea, Matt, and I decided to knock out one of the things on the list – Mt. Everest Base Camp! (which was earlier Mt. Everest, but since around 25%-50% of hikers die on the trek for things beyond their control, we changed it to hiking to the base camp.) I have to admit, Matt was originally going to do the trip solo or with a group, but realizing the timing of our days off he invited Chelsea and I to join him – ok, I kindof invited ourselves. =)

For the last three days Chelsea and I have been deciding if we wanted to do the trip right now or not. We both have poured through countless webpages and blogs about the trek and finally decided to do it. Even though its just hiking to the base camp its still at 17,600’ elevation and requires many days of acclimatization. (allowing your body to adjust for the change in oxygen percentage) We have yet to find a guide or set a solid schedule, but that will come soon. The best synopsis of a “normal” schedule, track distances, and change in elevation per day can be found here http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/asia/nepal_everest.html

We bought tickets today and will attempt this trek in 17 total days, arriving on Oct. 24th and departing on Nov. 9th. One funny thing with the trip is that we fly from Kathmandu to Seoul, then leave Seoul at 2am on the 10th and arrive in LAX on the 9th at 8pm. LOL – I love it when the dateline works in your favor. I guess that the timing of the trek depends largely on the individual and how long it takes to acclimatize – so well see how it goes for us. Nonetheless, we are extremely excited for the trip and to see Matt, a close friend who we haven’t seen in over two years!!

I am definitely the most unfit one in the group and have started training hardcore, working out three times a day, using three different programs – P90X, Insanity, and Amped Abs – conveniently, non of these require a gym! I plan to lose 1 pound or more every two days for the remainder of my 28 day work hitch. Not to mention, get stronger and build endurance for the hike.

As for my last few work days in Angola. I went into the office and met our country manager, he said that he had some things for me to do while I am waiting for my receipt and my base pass and I was actually greatful. Ive been going crazy with boredom! He also told me that I would be able to work from my room since space is limited in Escom and transportation difficult. He was a nice guy. That day I worked from 6am until 6pm and by days end I had done all the things he had asked me to do for the week. I think I will turn in one thing at a time until Monday though… =)

I moved to a new room today. It’s a lot bigger with a nicer shower and better bed. I don’t think that my feet will fall asleep on it anymore! Score. See pictures below.

Food that I brought for the trip. So far I have eaten LOTS! I need to bring more next time.

New Room

New Room 2

Bathroom

No comments:

Post a Comment