Sunday, July 31, 2011

When it hurts...


I now have until I am finally home after 10 straight work weeks!! I have never been more ready. The distance is starting to get to me and I’m starting to realize that commuting sucks when special things happen at home. Hopefully, this next week will be an easy week due to Ramadan. I had to change rooms one more time because of another guy coming and I found a place that gives a mean haircut and shave.

When it hurts the godfather...
This last week was a great week for Bakersfield. Our close friends gave birth to a boy and girl, Hudson and Payton! We are so happy for them, and I cant wait to meet them myself. Ashley did great and the babies came out on rails. The two are slightly underweight so they are still in the hospital, but they should be out soon! Using my aircard, I was able to skype with Chelsea the whole time and see pictures as soon as they were born, which is incredible in its own right, but doesn’t replace an in-person experience. I guess comes it with the position, but this has been the first time that I really hated being away from home for a specific moment. (On that note, it is worth pointing out, that if any “life-threatening illness or sickness needing aid” happens to any family member, the company will put me on the next flight out of the country with the most expedited path – regardless of the cost.) What makes this even more exciting? Chelsea and I are the godparents of Payton! We are both so honored and excited to be a part of their lives.

Ramadan...
Tomorrow is the start of Ramadan, and even though I am not Muslim I will get to experience the month of fasting since eating and drinking are both not allowed in public in Saudi Arabia. Aside from the eating, my life will be mostly the same with a few additional “perks.” The normal working ours for Ops people have changed from 7am-5pm to 5am-11am, allowing the necessary rest for the fasting and to try to work during cool hours. The 6 hour work day will be awesome, and just what I needed going into week 10…

Haircut...
Inside the Eurovillage I found a gem! There is a barber shop with two guys, one from Pakistan and the other  from Somolia. I coincidentally was there for something else when he looked at me and said, let me cut your hair. I asked, “Do you shave too?” he did! He was a funny guy who showed me how many different styles I could have, he wet my hair and combed it back and said “see Italian” then combed my hair from one side to the other and said “German” (Hitler). I got a head massage to start, then the haircut, then a proper old-school shave, then another shave, then two more. By the end, it was the closest shave I have ever had on my face – I couldn’t feel one prickle. LOL After the shaving, he put a hot cloth on my face, took it off, sprayed me with a squirt bottle with freezing cold water, then put the warm cloth back on. All-in-all it was the most complete haircut/shave I have ever had! How much you ask? $7 then tipped him $3!! Crazy.

As far as locations go, Saudi is one of the best. You get your own car, the food is good, its close to a city, and the rooms are awesome. The only downside is that it is 30-60 minutes away from the workshop. It sets the bar high and now Im going to be spoiled when I go to Angola. =(

No comments:

Post a Comment